INTERCRUISES AND VIKAND JOIN FORCES TO DELIVER INNOVATIVE COVID-19 TESTING SOLUTION AT CRUISE TERMINALS
- NON-INVASIVE BREATHALYSER TECHNOLOGY PROVIDES RESULTS IN 45 SECONDS
- SOLUTION DEVELOPED FOR FAST IMPLEMENTATION IN CRUISE TERMINALS WORLDWIDE
- INTERCRUISES’ GLOBAL PRESENCE AND LOCAL TEAMS TO SUPPORT IMPLEMENTATION LOGISTICS
13 April 2021, Barcelona, SPAIN & Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA: Intercruises Shoreside & Port Services, an experienced global business offering ground handling and port operations services to the cruise industry, is expanding its collaboration with VIKAND Solutions, a global maritime medical operations and healthcare solutions provider. The Global Port Medical Network partnership between the two businesses, first announced in November 2020, will now see them work together to implement efficient COVID-19 testing in cruise terminals.
The COVID-19 Cruise Terminal Testing Solution is an end-to-end, non-invasive testing system for guests, crew and terminal staff, and has the ability to detect the virus in 45 seconds. Comprising individual breathalyser tubes and portable scanning stations, its high throughput COVID-19 testing technology is now available to support the resumption of global cruising and the wider maritime industry. With local presence in ports around the world, Intercruises will help deliver the testing solution by providing the necessary in-terminal management and logistical support.
“We have already seen that the safe return to cruising is possible, enabled by the correct health and safety protocols, including testing. The partnership we have with VIKAND and their breakthrough technology will help advance this process and the ongoing resumption of our industry,” said Olga Piqueras, Intercruises Managing Director.
“Intercruises’ global presence and local teams are a critical component in this initiative, enabling us to provide testing that cruise lines, ports and terminal operators can easily implement with minimal investment,” added Damien O’Connor, VIKAND Testing Solutions, EVP. “Together we offer tremendous value to the industry by delivering this crucial, emerging healthcare technology. We want to see, and are ensuring, that the many people affected by this pandemic get back to work—be it shipboard or shoreside—while the travel industry continues to work with governments, local authorities, and experts in the healthcare field to implement the most relevant and available solutions. Together, we all safeguard a safe, healthy, and care-free experience for our returning and prospective guests.”
About the technology:
Created by BioSafety Technologies and approved by the Conformitè Europëenne (CE), the non-invasive breathalyser technology, which is both scalable and portable, delivers results within 45 seconds.
- Easy-to-use functionality and interface that can be administered by non-medically trained
- Uses Terahertz (300-3,000GHz) frequencies to detect the presence of COVID-19 by identifying the bio-spectral fingerprints found in the exhaled breath aerosol (EBA) of the individual
- Identifies COVID-19-free (negative) individuals while also detecting the virus in its early
- Trialled on over 10,000 individuals during worldwide pilot program and validated by PCR testing.
- Equivalent results to PCR sensitivity and specificity and may be paired with recognized PCR technologies like Abbot ID Now™.
- Successfully deployed as the current screening process used in the Dominican Republic for flights to the USA, with Delta Air Lines and American
About Intercruises Shoreside & Port Services
Intercruises is an experienced global business offering turnaround, shore excursion, port agency and hotel services to the ocean and river cruise industry. Cruise specialist teams handle all vessel, guest and crew needs, before, during and after a ship’s time in port. Intercruises is part of TUI Musement. Find out more and follow us:
About TUI Musement
TUI Musement is a leading Tours & Activities business that combines a scalable digital platform with local service delivery in more than 140 countries worldwide. Available in all major holiday and city destinations to travellers around the world, including the 21 million annual TUI customers, there are currently more than 170,000 experiences - including excursions, activities, tickets and transfers. These are distributed through the Musement and TUI websites and apps, and B2B partners, including the world's leading OTAs, tour operators, cruise lines and travel companies. TUI Musement is one of the major growth areas of TUI Group and in FY19 generated a revenue of EUR 1.2bn, delivered by 9,000 colleagues.
VIKAND provides global medical and public health service solutions to the entire maritime industry, including cruise, yacht, superyacht, commercial shipping, fishing, and energy sectors. VIKAND works with more than 200 cruise ship clients—spread over 23 cruise lines—supporting 120,000 crew with medical and mental wellness needs supported by experienced onboard and onshore medical staffs. VIKAND’s proven medical and public health expertise and experience is demonstrated through a proactive and evidence-based healthcare approach, the VIKAND Total Healthcare Solution and is coordinated with global regulatory agencies and industry associations. Solutions encompass 24/7 medical management, public health, and COVID-19 consulting, biomedical equipment maintenance and products, and leading air and surface decontamination solutions. VIKAND recently celebrated its 10th anniversary and was awarded the Seatrade Cruise Awards Supplier of the Year 2020 in October.
VIKAND has offices in Fort Lauderdale, Hamburg and soon Monaco in addition to having staff located throughout the world.
- Commentary: Damien O’Connor, EVP, Vikand Testing Solutions, email@example.com +1 754.715.4961
- Media Contact—Intercruises: Stephen Denton, firstname.lastname@example.org (+34) 932 972 903
- Editorial Services—Vikand: Amy Halsted, email@example.com +1 207.432.7239