River Cruise Paramedic
River Cruise Paramedic
Responsible for responding to medical and emergency calls to provide first aid to ill or injured guests and crew; assists in the assessment of crew and guest injuries or illnesses and determines a need for further assessment at a shore-side medical facility.
Provides guest, crew and visitor health screening prior to boarding and disembarkation as per Vikand and Company policy. This includes temperature and oxygen saturation screening, review of health questionnaires and performing required COVID19 point of care testing.
Vikand Standards and Values
Vikand Standards and Values
- Find solutions and get results independently, and knows where to get assistance.
- Be flexible to assist outside of main role as needed to help the company overall.
- Be accountable for individual and business success.
- Collaborates proactively and works well with others.
- Acts like a Vikand Ambassador at all times.
The Paramedic reports to the Ship’s Captain on board and to VIKAND for the overall operation of the Medical Center and the Safety, welfare of the vessel.
Customer Service, Communication and Service Delivery
- Maintains positive, engaging, and supportive interactions with guests, crew, visitors, vendors, and Ship Senior Officers.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service.
- Ensures timely and professional communication and collaboration with Ship Senior Officers, Company Leadership and VIKAND Medical Team.
- Timely response to any customer complaints in collaboration with VIKAND Medical Team, Ship Senior Officers and Company Leadership.
Equipment & Medical Inventory
- Reviews ship medical formulary orders to assure appropriate medical inventory levels are maintained in line with the formulary budget. Submits medical orders in accordance with the policy.
- Responsible for obtaining permission from VIKAND for any purchases made outside the normal supplies requisition process.
- Keeps in a good state of repair all lifesaving equipment to ensure a complete state of readiness to meet any emergency requirements.
- Is familiar with and is competent operating all equipment in the Medical Center, including emergency drugs and bags.
- Maintains and tracks all equipment malfunctions and coordinates with the VIKAND Medical Team to resolve.
- When stocked on board, ensure all controlled substances are secured, dispensed, and accounted for, in accordance with Flag state requirements, company policies and applicable Port Authority regulations.
Communicable Disease Management
Provides pre-boarding health screening on all guests, crew, vendors, and visitors per company policy:
- Conduct PCR tests per Company policy.
- Wear full PPE when COVID-19 screening/testing guests and crew.
- Always Wear full PPE (N95 Masks, Goggles/face shield/disposable gown) when dealing with guests/crew exhibiting symptoms of Acute Respiratory Disease (ARD).
- Always wear N95 mask when assessing any guest/crew with a medical issue or complaint who is not suspected of an ARD.
- When possible and appropriate manage Guests / Crew with ARD symptoms in their cabin. Swabs can be collected and process in the Allocated Medical Assessment Area / Cabin.
- Provides continuous health screening monitoring on board per Company policy.
- Ensure the medical center is equipped with enough PPE and outbreak supplies to manage any type of communicable diseases onboard.
- Follows the company outbreak prevention plan and alerts departments in the event of an outbreak of food poisoning or any other highly contagious outbreak, including but not limited to AGE, ILI or Covid like illness.
- Properly clean all medical equipment after each patient use.
- Ensure the Assigned Medical Area is cleaned 2 times per day.
- Ensure ship staff are adequately trained in outbreak prevention, management, and the wearing of PPE for each type of outbreak.
- Ensure VIKAND Medical Management are kept appraised of any infectious disease outbreak.
- Ensure the medical team and stretcher team use PPE’s correctly and conduct fit testing.
- Ensure the medical wipe down all equipment after use.
- Works collaboratively with the Ship Management to ensure all applicable mandatory diseases or illness reporting is performed on a timely and complete basis, as required by the US Coast Guard and local port health authorities.
- Close Contacts:
- In an event where an ARD cases has been identified full Close Contact Tracking and interviewing for Close Contacts to be conducted
- These Close Contacts will be followed up in accordance with CDC guidelines https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/contact-tracing/contact-tracing-plan/contact-tracing.html
- Clear communications with the Shipboard Management and Vikand Medical Management
- Conduct PCR tests per Company policy.
- Ensures dosage accuracy in dispensing over the counter medications in a safe manner, with appropriate warnings and precautions reviewed with the patient.
- Ensure medication is dispensed in an accurate and safe manner, with appropriate warnings and precautions reviewed with the patient.
- Be familiar with the indications, side effects and precautions to be observed for all medications dispensed, including emergency medications in use onboard.
- Counsel Guests and Crew and verify their understanding of the use of any medications provided.
- Report any expired medications to VIKAND.
Medical Care & Administrative Responsibilities
- Keep the emergency response bag with medical staff member at all time.
- Provides basic first aid to guests and crew when required.
- Attends medical emergencies onboard as a first responder and takes appropriate action, within
scope of license until transfer of care can be arranged to local 911 system.
- Ensures compliance with HIPAA, GDPR and VIKAND confidentiality policies when dealing with
guests and crew.
- Keeps the VIKAND Medical Department informed of all medical matters regarding guests and
- Makes appropriate referrals for shore-side follow-up for guests and crew members in
consultation with the Vikand Medical Director and completes all required documentation.
- Makes informed decisions in the event of the need for emergency evacuation of a guest or crew
member, including providing all documentation required.
- Notifies the Ship Management and VIKAND Medical Team in the event of a shore-side referral or
need for a medical disembarkation of either a guest or crew member.
- Reports any undesired events, unsafe practices or near accidents observed to the Ship’s Captain.
- Maintains the Medical Center hours as agreed upon with the Company and VIKAND.
- On call 24/7.
- Observes and enforces uniform and grooming standards according to Company policy.
- Obtains consent for treatment prior to any medical intervention, except for an emergency, where consent cannot be obtained before initiating an emergency intervention.
- Maintains accurate patient records of all aspects of guest and crew member medical management.
- Assures all medical records are properly collected, filed, and securely maintained in the ship’s medical center filing system.
- Accurately completes accident reports.
- Maintains logs and records of all onboard medical incidents and medical equipment, including
first aid boxes.
- Completes Safety Management System documentation.
Must complete Company required Breath Alcohol Technician (BAT) training and Certified Urine Specimen Collector prior to embarkation
- High School Diploma or Equivalent Required.
- Professional active License in good standing.
- At least 3 years of working experience as Paramedic.
- Cruise industry experience preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Professional appearance and attitude.
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels in a pleasant and professional manner; must be
compassionate and caring.
- Valid BLS and ACLS Certification required.
- Must be able to perform basic life support and advanced cardiac life support.
- Ability to recognize, understand and appropriately handle sensitive information in a
- Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
- Ability to use independent judgment and discretion.
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle emergency response.
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion. and post-accident/incident testing.
- Ability to stand and walk on nearly a constant basis; ability to work long hours each day.
- Ability to bend, rotate and reach frequently.
- Ascending/descending stairs or ladders safely.
- Ability to manipulate/handle/grip materials required to perform job.
- Ability to maneuver through/in/around small and/or confined areas within the vessel.
- Must be able to maintain both static and dynamic standing balance to complete various duties associated with job.
- Must be capable of performing emergency duties as listed in the vessels station bill.
Due to the U.S. Coast Guard regulations, we are only able to hire American citizens or those who hold a valid Green Card.
This consent can be withdrawn at anytime by submitting a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Resumes will be shared with our cruise line clients for consideration when recruiting for onboard medical staff.